Wednesday, April 8, 2009

day off

Today I have the day off so of course I'm going to spend it productively by making art.  I finished one new journal for my Etsy - don't forget that I'm having a showcase on Friday!  So I'm going to finish three more today.  I also will be finishing my mini-series of paintings that are going into our gallery show here at the building where I live.  We just ordered the postcards yesterday.  The show opens April 27th from 7:00-9:00 PM.  I also will be starting and finishing a more conceptual piece involving Craigslist's Missed Connections section and Metro cards.  (Pictures to follow in some near future entry.)

I didn't do much on Thursday and Friday of last week, just painting the mini-series (this is the piece that was inspired partially by Emily Burbank's book Woman as Decoration, which I mentioned in my last entry).  On Saturday Stephanie and I left in the wee hours of the morning (7 AM to be exact) to get on the Long Island Rail Road for Southampton.  We got there around 10 AM and were picked up by Stephanie's great grandma's husband's brother's daughter (I think I got that right) or as we call her, Francis.  Francis drove us around, showed us the beach! briefly and then we went to "town" and had lunch.  Basically Long Island is all country side and sometimes big houses, a lot of times not.  It reminded me of going up north in Michigan except with a more New England flavor, but a lot of times I would have thought I had never left Michigan which was sort of depressing.  We had a very good lunch and afterwards Francis drove us to Sag Harbor which is the town mentioned a lot in Moby Dick.  We were dragging a little due to our early morning so we went back to the house to take a nap.  I finished reading Girl with a Pearl Earring.  We had a delicious homemade meal and then watched Revolutionary Road and went to bed.  

On Sunday Stephanie and I basically spent our whole day at the beach.  We started in town (which looks like the Village in Grosse Pointe except with better parking, no "hoodlum" children and more high end shopping).  We walked all the way to the beach from there which wasn't too far but it wasn't very close either.  There were so many sea horses when we got to the beach!  I picked up about 10 and they are now in the process of being preserved for some future art piece.  We threw about three sea horses back into the ocean because they were still somewhat alive.  Afterwards we went back to Francis' house and had a late lunch and then lounged around until our bus left at 6:30.  We got back to the city around 8:00 and I felt like we were home.  

Yesterday I worked more on Emilie's website and it's looking really great.  I also sewed the two "leg" sculptures around the pvc piping we got.  Next week I'll be working on the "fur tent."  I'll take pictures and then you'll understand what I'm talking about.