Sunday, January 17, 2010

canary in a cathouse

According to Wikipedia: Canary in a Cathouse is a collection of twelve short stories by Kurt Vonnegut published in 1961. Eleven of the twelve appear in the later collection Welcome to the Monkey House. The one story that was not reprinted in the later book was "Hal Irwin's Magic Lamp." The book has been out of print for many years and is hard to find.

I knew I had already read all of these short stories (minus Hal Irwin's Magic Lamp). All of them are very good though so I'm glad I got a second chance to read them. I'm back on my reading-everything-by-Vonnegut kick so I had to read this anyway. You should read it too! (And if you can't find it ... so sad, read Welcome to the Monkey House and speculate about Hal's magic lamp.)

Out of all the short stories in this collection, I would say All the King's Horses is my favorite.