Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Featured Seller: Aglaea Designs

Name: Kelly
Etsy Name: AglaeaDesigns
[etsy] www.aglaeadesigns.etsy.com
[blog] www.AglaeaDesigns.blogspot.com
[flickr] www.flickr.com/photos/kguinan

Location: Garrison, NY


Apart from creating, what do you do:
My full time job is as a graphic designer, so I guess I'm always creating!! But I am also about 8 months pregnant with my first child so my husband and I spend a good amount of time preparing for the baby's arrival!! Very excited!

What made you want to be an artist and/or crafter:
I'm not quite sure what started my interest, I remember always enjoying art class when I was younger and through high school and college I always made sure to take at least one art class a semester. But I know my interest in photography was started when my uncle, who was a amateur photographer himself, gave me my first SLR camera when I was 15. And at the time that just opened me up to a whole new media I had never dealt with before. It was pretty cool.

Describe your process:
I don't know that I really have a process, I kind of just go with what hits me at the moment. I always have so many ideas in my head of projects I would like to do, I just try to keep myself organized.


Favorite book?:
Thief of Always by Clive Barker. I've always loved this book, plus he's an amazing artist.

Favorite movie?:
Don't know if I have a favorite but any of those 'classics' from the '80s - Goonies, Say Anything, Breakfast Club, etc.

Favorite website?:
Flickr.com - I could spend hours just looking at all the wonderful photos!

Any advice?:
Do what you are passionate about - if you aren't into it, others won't be either.

What inspires you?:
Everything! At my job I'm surrounded by design elements and fonts (I LOVE fonts!!). The area I love in, it is just filled with the most beautiful scenery. Other artists, I love it when someone is passionate about their work.

Do you have a favorite item?:
I still have and use (though not as much as I'd like) that SLR my uncle gave me, that's got to be my favorite item it gave me a new eye to see with.

What do you love about your business?:
It gives me a reason to do all those projects that have been in my head!



One of Aglaea Designs' photographs is currently appearing in the online magazine nthWORD. Check out their end of year issue at nthWORD.com. And she is currently being featured on the blog Steel Grey Art.