Wednesday, March 11, 2009

quiche

Saturday night we did make it to the gallery opening and it was really great.  It was curated by my bosses' friend.  We were really hungry after the opening so we decided to try Dallas BBQ which is right down the street from where I live.  It was really good!  and so cheap!  They had these really great frozen cocktails.  I had a Texas sized pina colada - yummy.  We stayed in the restaurant a long time just talking and hanging out so we didn't do anything afterwards except go back to my room and fall asleep.

Sunday we went to Central Park and it was sort of a crummy day, but the park was so nice and relaxing.  It felt like I was actually in nature.  We started the day late so after Central Park we went back to my room to pick up Rebecca and Jess's stuff and headed to their hotel - The Michelangelo.  It was just north of Times Square and it was a really nice place.  We had dinner at TGIFriday's - don't judge.  And then we walked all the way back from 51st street to the UCB for ASSSSCAT.  I slept over at the hotel and we had a girls' night in, watching Mamma Mia! and sipping wine.  

Unfortunately I didn't get to sleep in because I had to go to work.  It was a rainy day.  We had our seminar (Jess and Rebecca wandered around all over Manhattan so they didn't come).  Dave McKenzie was the artist who talked to us.  His work was okay.  I really liked his ideas but I felt that his work is still a little immature.

On Tuesday I had this really great lunch with Emilie at a yuppie French restaurant.  The quiche I had was the best quiche I've ever tasted.  It was incredibly creamy, almost like a custard.  At first I wasn't going to order it because it was made with swiss cheese, but I'm so glad I did.  Kelly met up with us after I was done with work to go to dinner at Elmo.  She came to NYC on MegaBus for $14 roundtrip so I'll probably try to go visit her in D.C. before I go back to Michigan.  After dinner we watched It Happened One Night until we couldn't stay awake anymore.  

Sadly Jess and Rebecca went home today but I had a really great day working with Emilie today.  I reorganized a lot of the studio/cleaned.  Tonight I'm just working on different applications - bureaucratic stuff.  Next week we're going to start having meetings to organize a gallery show here at the house with work from the students in my program.