Tuesday, March 3, 2009

sailor man

On Wednesday I got to go back to Emilie's studio and we decided that I'll now be working with her two days a week instead of one.  A few of us from the house went to School Night at the UCB too.

Thursday Stephanie and I tried to go to a movie screening, but we didn't get in line early enough (it's hard to wait in lines when you're at work) so we went to Chevy's for dinner instead.  They still make the best soft shell tortillas.

Friday I had a meeting with Emilie and did a lot of planning for my independent project this fall.  (Secrets to be unveiled soon...)  I went to the Schroeder Romero opening with Jay (my boss) and was heading to a lecture, but the building where it was to be held was locked.  So instead of I went home and watched Sweeney Todd... I was also on call so that's that.

Saturday Stephanie and I headed to the Rockefeller Center.  We saw the Atlas statue, Saint Patrick's Cathedral, and the original Soup Nazi (Seinfeld) restaurant!  Then we met up with our new seminar group and toured a few galleries in Chelsea.  My favorite one was the first one we saw.  The gallery was set up like a museum - which is a pretty rare occurrence - where Piero Manzoni's work was on display.  It was really great.  He was a very revolutionary artist - he would sign his name on anyone's body and they would then be issued a certificate of authenticity as one of his works of art.  He did a bunch of crazy stuff like that and really questioned what made something art, what made something valuable.  We also went to a bookstore called Printed Matter which sells all artist publications.  After going grocery shopping and eating dinner, Cait, Stephanie and I went to the Irish pub down the street - Tir Na Nog - and hung out for a while.

Sunday we had to get up "early" and go to our last seminar meeting with Emilie at her studio.  After our meeting a few of us went to Brooklyn College for the Folk Feet Traditional Dance Showcase.  The theme was "dancing the dead" and we saw various dances of death, mourning, and remembrance practiced in Brooklyn's immigrant communities.  Some of them were really upbeat while others were very solemn and touching.  We also discovered that the closest Target is near the college ... and that if you stay on the 2 train too long, you'll end up going back the way you just came from.  Obviously we went to see ASSSSCAT and this time we were number 3 and 4 in line so we got to sit right in the front row!  It was awesome and hilarious.

Today I went to work like usual and saw Whiplash at the UCB.  There was a surprise act at the end by the actors from Sailor Man.  It's a play based on Popeye the Sailor Man cartoon.  It was really good!

Tomorrow I'm helping Morgan Lehman set up for PULSE.