Thursday, February 5, 2009

Alan Sonfist

Yesterday I didn't have to go into work because my boss's son was ill.  I was supposed to go to the Met, but I got turned around and ended up by the river (the opposite direction of where I needed to be), so that got scraped.  I ended the evening by going to a comedy show that a girl in my program does PR for (well her boss does the PR, but she helps by being the intern).  It was really great and the opening improv troupe from NYU had a guy in it that looked like a skinnier Edward Cullen (a.k.a. Robert Pattinson)!  OMG I WAS FREAKING OUT.  Seriously, he had the whole "I haven't eaten in weeks because I'm a vegan vampire" thing going on and he was super pale and even sort of did his hair like Pattinson in the movie. Anyway, all of us from the program spent the entire night there and made friends with the performers of the main act.  The group is named FUCT and they were pretty funny although I'm a much bigger fun of ASSSSCAT 3000 (probably because I like improv better).  The cool thing about FUCT is they started up in their college days and would sneak a keg of beer into wherever they were performing.  So following tradition, there was a keg there - free of course, freegans unite - and I even volunteered to participate a few times on stage, all in all a very fun night.  I won a free t-shirt!

Today I went to work and afterwards found a bagel place nearby that has super cheap food/drinks.  I was in dire need of a hot chocolate and I got a large for $1.50.  This might seem normal but in NYC that's really cheap.  Usually a small hot drink (don't think Starbucks small ... that's the size of a medium drink here) is at least $2.00.  After that little excursion I went to my seminar meeting at Alan Sonfist's studio.  I actually had never heard of him but am now glad I know about his work because he plants forests that are modeled after real, ancient forests.  And having constantly to think about how I'm going to design my independent study this fall (I want to create a giant redwood tree that is constructed out of book spines and very sewn to create bark texture, etc.), hearing Alan talk about his work was very inspiring and also gave me a lot of ideas for my own project.  Tonight Stephanie and I are staying in to rest and watch the movie 21 - yay unlimited movies online through Netflix.