Sunday, February 15, 2009

already sunday

I can't believe the whole week went by so fast.  

On Tuesday I met up with my sorority sisters who live in the city now for dinner at a little French restaurant, Tartine, in the west village.  It was a pretty cool place, bring your own wine - which made it a lot cheaper than getting a bottle at the restaurant.  For dessert we went to the infamous Magnolia Bakery.  And I have to say I was impressed because I hate frosting and the frosting was amazing.

Wednesday I ended up working at Morgan Lehman and helped install our current show by the French artist Benedicte Peyrat.  I touched up the walls with paint, helped hang the paintings, etc.

Thursday I left Mickalene's studio early to help set up at Morgan Lehman for Peyrat's show opening.  Unfortunately she couldn't be there because she lives in Germany, c'est la vie.  The opening went pretty well for things being slower than usual in the art world.  Afterwards, a bunch of us girls stayed in and had a girl night which was nice.

Friday after working at Morgan Lehman all day, Alma and I went to Alma's boss's apartment to essentially cater (without making the food) her birthday party.  I don't think I have ever worked a 14 hour day before (worked as in actual job, not school/homework).  It was definitely worth it and a very interesting/informative experience.  Being only young once, a few of us girls ended up going to Webster Hall - a very popular club with three floors that we obviously got into for free.  It was a ton of fun but not something I could do every weekend considering how late we stayed out.

Saturday (yesterday) I woke up really late (as it should be after such a Friday night), but still ended up doing a lot.  Stephanie, Lindsey and I went to Bryant Park to scope out Fashion Week.  We saw one model and some paparazzi but that was it.  There were huge white tents that were guarded at all of the entrances so obviously we couldn't even peak in.  Then we wandered around SoHo until dinner.  Stephanie and I finally tried the pizza place by our building and were extremely disappointed that the Italian ices advertised in the window were not being made in the restaurant.   Then we took the most roundabout way on about five different trains to get back to SoHo to see a play called The Mushroom Pickers.  I didn't really enjoy it because I didn't get all of the political references (I don't live in Ireland so I don't really know what happened there over 50 years ago...) and I also thought the pace of the show was too slow.  It did spark my interest in finding out more about the time period the show was set in though so that's good.  

Now I'm going to bed so I can wake up and hopefully go to a few museums tomorrow, a reading, and the UCB.

- - - - 

My good friend Zahi is up to it again: Rare intact mummy found.