Tuesday, February 3, 2009

poems & pints

This morning I volunteered for an art auction (Think Punk! Gala) in Chinatown.  We made centerpieces for the tables out of chicken wire, crumpled up invitations for the event, and huge (purely decorative) safety pins.  The tickets for the event start at $1000 so it's pretty cool that I got to help make something everyone will inadvertently look at through the night.  I will be getting free tickets for Karole Armitage's "Armitage Gone Dance! Think Punk!" premiering at the Kitchen in March ... they didn't cost $1000 though.

I spent the rest of the day reorganizing my closet room, doing laundry, baking, and just putting my life in order.  

This evening Stephanie and I went to a poetry reading, Poems & Pints, at Fraunces Tavern* which is actually sort of a historic place.  We heard from Dana Goodyear and Matthew Zapruder.  I didn't realize until after the reading that Dana's book, Honey and Junk, was a poetry book I checked out from the library my freshman year and had really enjoyed but then got to busy to recheck it out/even read at all.  I now am the proud owner of a signed copy.  There are poppies on the cover which makes it that much better (and how I realized I had already read some of it).  

*Fraunces Tavern: Place where the Sons of Liberty galvanized and where George Washington was a frequent dinner guest and barfly.  He also gave his farewell address here.